Attention Columbus Appraisal Professionals: What is the American Society of Appraisers? Monday, May 04, 2015
As a real estate investor, you want a professional who is considered to be the best of the best. That’s why you need a Columbus appraisal professional who has a deep understanding of the commercial property appraisal process. It’s important that you understand the value of the property you are purchasing for investment and know every last detail. Just like your property, there is value in hiring the right Columbus appraiser.
But who can you trust?
Fortunately, The American Society of Appraisers is around to help make that decision easier. Learn more below.
Choosing Your Commercial Real Estate Appraiser
When you begin your search for a commercial real estate firm in Columbus, Ohio, you will want to have a team by your side to help with your investment decisions. This team will typically include a commercial real estate broker and commercial appraisal professional. When you make your selections for these experts, take some time to get to know them and their credentials.
Ask your commercial real estate appraiser this: In addition to your license, do you have any other professional certifications?
And hope that they respond with this: “Yes, I am a member of the American Society of Appraisers.”
The American Society of Appraisers: Fostering Excellence
A non-profit, international organization of professional appraisers, The American Society of Appraisers (ASA) represents appraisers of all disciplines. Whether an individual specializes in with a Columbus, Ohio real estate appraisal reviews and management of property, or business valuation, appraisal of gems and jewelry, machinery and technical specialties, personal property, or real property, the ASA is made up of members in all fields.
As a professional organization of appraisers, their mission is to build the profession with compliance, as well as ethical and professional standards.
The American Society of Appraisers:
- Acts as a community for members throughout the country
- Encourages the exchange of ideas
- Promotes research and development in the profession
- Provides professional designations to qualified members of the society
- Enforces a code of ethics
- Establishes and maintains principles of the practice of appraisal
- Stands as a place for the public to find accredited appraisers
How to Become ASA Accredited
In order to become a member of The American Society of Appraisers, there are two designations: the Accredited Member (AM) and the Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA). Each of these designations has specific requirements, which can be found here; however, keep the following general guidelines in mind:
- An individual must have experience, relative to the designation, in appraisal.
- A candidate for ASA must have a four-year college degree, or its equivalent.
- ASA disciplines require the appraiser to pass a set of four Principles of Valuation courses. These courses lay the foundation for the accreditation process.
- The appraiser must submit appraisal reports – as stated by the ASA: “Accreditation is awarded to those candidates who demonstrate proficiency in performing complex appraisal assignments”.
Once you are a Columbus appraisal member, you can be listed in the “Find an Appraiser” database. This is a huge benefit; for the online consumer, being listed in this database makes you easily accessible, trusted, and advisable.
Premier Columbus Appraisal Services Since 1938
The Robert Weiler Company is a proud member of the American Society of Appraisers and looks forward to assisting you with your next Columbus appraisal. Contact one of our experts at 614-221-4286 to inquire about your specific appraisal need.