6 Ways to Get Organized After Finding Small Office Space for Rent 
Are you still sticking with your New Year’s resolutions of becoming more organized? Maybe you can up the ante after landing a new small office space for rent!
For many business owners, the beginning of the year marks the time to start fresh and work on efficiency. Perhaps, in an effort to do so, you have decided to begin with a completely blank canvas for your small business by relocating to a new officespace. No matter what the reason is for the change, one thing is for certain: You need to know how to become (and stay) organized… today.
The idea of organizing your small office space rental may seem daunting. You are busy! How can you find time to do all of this with everything else on your plate?
You May Not Be As Organized As You Think!
Believe it or not, when it comes to organization, time is on your side. Yes, you read that correctly. Consider how much time you actually lose by having little to no organization.
- Are your office and computer filing systems up-to-date?
- How much time have you spent over the last day/week/month searching for an important file?
- When was the last time you were able to find the stapler immediately?
- Can you easily locate replacement ink cartridges in the office when the printer is running low?
- How much time do you spend looking for emails?
- Are you ever late with communication, meetings, or project deliveries because you’ve forgotten or have difficulty managing and prioritizing tasks?
When was the last time you truly thought about any of this?
Well, the good news is that you already found small office space for rent and moved in, which are the biggest hurdles. There is no better time than the present to get organized and efficient in your new digs.
6 Actionable Ways to Get Organized Now:
Are you ready to get started? Organizing your office space certainly does not have to take weeks or even days. Once you’ve considered your priorities, simply break down your list based on what works best for you. Set aside some time this evening to strategize and map out your plan of action. Then dedicate some time before and after work tomorrow to implement.
Here are some tips to get you started on the road to efficiency for your new officespace rental:
- Start with a purge. Consider decluttering your office space as the first step to getting more organized. You might have purged as you packed up to move; and being that you chose a small office space for rent will likely mean that you have less stuff, but that’s not always the case. If you have no use for it, have not used it in a while, or simply have no idea if it even works anymore, get rid of it.
- Clear your workspace. If you do not use it daily, there is no reason why it should be cluttering your workspace and your mind! Put it away in drawers.
- Organize your filing system and drawers. Now is the time to invest in a good labeling system if you do not already have one in place. Do you have piles scattered through the office? Rid yourself of them!
- Organize your computer and email. Most people do not even realize how much time they waste sorting through their desktop or sub-folders of their computer for files; or worse yet, sorting through their email (the average employee spends 2.5 hours/day on email). Take some time to organize your computer with folders, sub-folders, color-coding, and dates; then organize your email with folders, sub-folders, and filters. And when you have a bit more time, look into the “Inbox Zero” practice.
- Stay focused with a task management system. Whether you choose OmniFocus, Things, or the calendar built into your email, computer, or phone, it’s important that you organize and prioritize your tasks and meetings. You may be interested in David Allen’s Getting Things Done (GTD) methodology (if you’re not familiar, we suggest you look into this, too); however, choose whatever method you feel works best for you, as long as you stick to it.
- Make a plan to keep up with it. Remember, all of your hard work in getting organized is only effective if you keep up with it. Create a plan that fits into your day-to-day, in order to stay organized; then be sure to keep up with your plan.
Related Article: 7 Ways to Make Your Columbus Office Space Productive
Are you still searching for small office space for rent in Columbus, Ohio or throughout Central Ohio?
If so, we can help speed up the process and find office space you’re looking for! Speak with a commercial broker at The Robert Weiler Company, who can show you the best spaces in town, based on your objectives and budget. Call us today at 614-221-4286 to find your ideal small office space for rent (or large office space if you need more room).