How Does NARPM® Help Property Management Companies in Columbus, Ohio?
If you are one of the many property management companies in Columbus, Ohio, then you should be well aware of National Association of Residential Property Managers (NARPM®). If you’re not involved or familiar with the association, here’s a brief description: NARPM consists of real estate industry insiders with ample knowledge of the problems and challenges that the property management industry faces – specifically concerning single-family homes and small residences. The assocation is based on providing education, resources, and tools for professional residential property managers, as well as owners and employees of property management companies in Columbus, Ohio and throughout the U.S. who strive to learn, succeed, and build lasting relationships.
Strengthening the ethical behavior of members has been a basic principle for NARPM since the beginning. The Code of Ethics and Standards of Professionalism is a documentation put in place to help educate their members as to how a professional property manager should conduct business in a manner where all parties involved in a landlord-tenant relationship are pleased.
There are many benefits for a property manager or property management company to be affiliated with the association; an association with a rich history spanning approximately 30 years. Continue reading to learn about the membership benefits, designations, and the history of NARPM.
Membership Benefits for Property Management Companies in Columbus, Ohio and Beyond
NARPM doesn’t just sound great; it offers a variety of tangible benefits to its members. Whether you are a new property manager or one who is establed, you will benefit from their offerings. Along with an important member newsletter publication, the association offers tools that greatly help property management companies in Ohio and beyond. Below some membership benefits:
- An annual convention and trade show
- Classes and other educational opportunities
- Member support
- Mentor program for new members
- Members contribute their expertise and share helpful information and ideas
- Networking opportunities
- Business referrals
- Listing on the national website
- Member discussion boards
Through a membership, Columbus, Ohio property management companies will have a sense of credibility that is tough to achieve without having the affiliation with the association. The association will keep you up-to-date with all of the news and information you will need to be on top of the trade; and the members all work together for the betterment of the business.
- Provide verification of 500 unit hours of management experience
- Complete an on-site visit from an association auditor
- Complete the audit process within three years of applying
Aside from running their own business, property managers have a great deal of responsibility for the buildings they manage. From tenant responsibilities, to lease and rent management, budgeting, accounting, and assistance with taxes, as well as supervision of employees and vacant units, and property maintenance and repairs.
(HELPFUL TIP: Check out our comprehensive blog post on property manager maintenance tips.)
Designations from National Association of Residential Property Managers
With a membership from NARPM, you can learn, grow professionally, make new friendships, increase your business, and achieve greater success. Additionally, through NARPM’s designations, you will not only gain confidence and recognition for your membeship, but also stand out from your competition. Adding a professional designation to both your name and your company name will immediately boost your credibility. These professional designations will positively impact your property management company and your clients.
NARPM® designations are achieved through property management experience, association and industry education, and performing volunteer activities. Below are the five types of designations:
- Residential Management Professional (RMP®) and Master Property Manager (MPM®) are the designations for residential property owners and property managers
- Certified Residential Management Company (CRMC®) designations are for property management companies that are headed by an MPM®
- Certified Support Specialist (CSS®) certifications are for professionals who work for a property management company that employs an NARPM® member who has earned the RMP® or MPM® designation; the professional seeking a CSS® must have a role that supports the company’s property managers.
- Certified Maintenance Coordinator (CMC) certifications are for those who have a supporting role in the residential property management industry.
- Certified Residential Management Bookkeeper (CRMB) certifications are for property management bookkeepers in the residential property management industry.
To learn more about membership and designations for individual property managers and property management companies in Columbus, Ohio, visit NARPM.org.
A Brief Overview of NARPM’s History
The start of NARPM dates back to 1987 in Dallas, Texas, where Ralph Tutor – who was soon named the president of the association – helped managers of single-family homes make sense of their business issues. The following year, a newsletter was created with the association’s ideals put in print for insiders to read. Back then, the newsletter was printed three times a year; that same newsletter – renamed Residential Resource – is now published 11 times, annually.
The association made major strides in the 1990s, starting with 1991, where courses were developed for property managers; later on, in 1994, industry ethics saw major reform rewritten in their Code of Ethics and Standards of Professionalism.
In 1988, the association had 13 members. Today, there are more than 5,200 members!
The Robert Weiler Company’s Property Management Team Can Help!
If you are with one of the many residential property management companies in Ohio and have a client or prospect in need of a professional to manage their commercial property, we’d greatly appreciate the referral. The Robert Weiler Company is proud to be one of the foremost property management companies in Columbus, Ohio (and beyond), since 1938. In addition to residential, we also manage commercial properties. Reach out to us today at 614-221-4286.