Become a Columbus Realtor!
It’s a great time to become a Columbus realtor! Did you know that a real estate agent is ranked in the top 20 list for best business jobs and top 100 list for best jobs, in general?
Here’s the “4-1-1” on joining the Columbus Ohio real estate
Realtor vs. Real Estate Agent: There IS a Difference
First things first – you will want to get your terminology squared away. Many people use the terms “realtor” and “real estate agent” interchangeably. Believe it or not, they are actually quite different. Although both are licensed to sell real estate – commercial or residential – a Columbus realtor is a member of the National Association of REALTORS®.
What does that mean?
- The National Association of REALTORS® is the world’s largest professional organization.
- The association provides a facility for professional development, research, and exchange of information.
- A REALTOR® must subscribe to the REALTOR® Code of Ethics – a strictly enforced standard of practice.
By now, you’ve come to the conclusion that in order to become a Columbus realtor, you must become an Ohio real estate
agent. So how can you become a real estate agent?
Becoming a Real Estate Agent: Step-by-Step
Similar to any other profession, becoming a real estate agent starts with your education. No matter where you live, whether you are becoming a
Columbus real estate agent
or realtor anywhere else in the world, you have to start with your pre-licensing courses. They will vary by state, so be sure to check the state-specific requirements of your state.
That is only the beginning, however. Check out our step-by-step guide:
- Sign Up for Your Pre-Licensing Required Courses: These vary by state, check the requirements in yours.
- Choose a Brokerage for Which You Would Like to Work: It is required that you work for a brokerage in order to practice real estate. Before you can graduate from your pre-licensing training, you will need to contact a brokerage to obtain work experience. Most states require at least 3 years of training.
- Obtain Your License: After you have completed the preliminary steps, you will need to pass state and national exams – Upon passing, you will obtain your real estate license.
- Realtor or Agent? Now is the time for you to decide if you will join the National Association of REALTORS®. This is when and how you will determine if you will be a realtor Columbus has to offer or a real estate agent.
After you have completed the steps listed above, get out there and build your book of business! Remember, it is important to network and start building your client and referral portfolio – you are only as good as the relationships in which you build.
At The Robert Weiler Company, our Columbus real estate firm was founded on honesty and integrity – we believe all real estate agents should act the same way. If you are looking for a mentor or advice about joining the industry, we are always willing to share our 75+ years of experience with any aspiring Columbus realtor
. Give us a call at 1-614-221-4286.