Attention Columbus Appraisal Professionals: What is the American Society of Appraisers?
As a real estate investor, you want a professional that is considered the best of the best. That’s why a Columbus appraisal professional, who has a deep understanding of the commercial property appraisal process, is what you need.You need to understand the value of the property you are purchasing for investment, and you want to know every last detail. Just like your property, there is value in the right Columbus appraiser
Who can you trust?
Fortunately, The American Society of Appraisers is around to help make that decision easier.
Choosing Your Commercial Real Estate Appraiser
When you begin your search for real estate Columbus Ohio has to offer, you will want to have a team by your side to help with your investment decisions. This team will include your real estate broker and your Columbus appraisal professional. When you make your selections for these people, you will want to take some time to get to know them.
Ask your commercial real estate appraiser this: In addition to your license, do you have any other professional certifications?
And hope that he or she responds with this: “Why yes, I am a member of the American Society of Appraisers.”
The American Society of Appraisers: Fostering Excellence
A non-profit, international organization of professional appraisers, The American Society of Appraisers (ASA) represents appraisers of all disciplines. Whether an individual deals with a Columbus Ohio real estate
appraisal review and management of property, business valuation, appraisal of gems and jewelry, machinery and technical specialties, personal property, or real property, the ASA houses members of all fields.
As a professional organization of appraisers, their mission is to build the profession with compliance, as well as ethical and professional standards.
The American Society of Appraisers:
- Acts as a community for members throughout the country
- Promotes the exchange of ideas
- Promotes research and development in the profession
- Provides professional designations to qualified members of the society
- Establishes and maintains a code of ethics
- Establishes and maintains principles of practice of appraisal
- Stands as a place for the public to find accredited appraisers
How to Become ASA Accredited
In order to become a member of The American Society of Appraisers, there are two designations: the Accredited Member (AM) designation and the Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) designation. Each of these designations has specific requirements, which can be found here
; however, keep the following general guidelines in mind.
- An individual must have experience, relative to the designation, in appraisal.
- A candidate for ASA must have a four-year college degree, or its equivalent.
- ASA disciplines require the appraiser to pass a set of four Principles of Valuation courses. These courses lay the foundation for the accreditation process.
- Appraiser must submit appraisal reports – as stated by the ASA: “Accreditation is awarded to those candidates who demonstrate proficiency in performing complex appraisal assignments”.
Once you are a Columbus appraisal member, an immense benefit is your ability to be listed in the “Find an Appraiser” database. For the online consumer, this makes you easily accessible, trusted, and advisable.
The Robert Weiler Company is a proud member of the American Society of Appraisers and looks forward to assisting you with your next Columbus appraisal
. Contact one of our experts at 1-614-221-4286 to inquire about your specific appraisal need.